Tuesday, September 30, 2014


Page sample.

I've been out of town for the past week (which is why I haven't updated in several days). While I was gone I tried pushing things by producing an entire full color page in one day. I achieved my goal, but it really highlighted a couple of issues I have. First and foremost is dealing with value (the progression from light to dark) and using it to bring things forward and dropping things back. I think this can be addressed by abandoning Sketchup for full color backgrounds and by reversing the working process. I like to flat in darker colors and then throw light over the top, cutting away areas for shadow. While this method feels natural for me I don't have the chops to pull it off effectively yet. What I need to do is work shadows in in gray tones and overlay them over the flat colors. This will enable me to familiarize myself with value. Once I have some work under my belt and can recognize what works then perhaps I can switch to the light over dark method.
The layout for this page is taken from an issue of Avengers Assemble I did and reworked with new characters and backgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment